Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
toolman946 via CraftKB.com toolman946 via CraftKB.com is offline

Default Homemade Screwdrivers?

I started gunsmithing a few years back when I was involved in competitive
pistol shooting. I often made my own screwdrivers and other specialty tools
from drill rod (cheaper than buying from Brownells... and fun too!)

You'll have to anneal the drill rod to work it if it isn't in that state
already (mine always came annealed). You can find color charts on the web
that'll guide you when you're ready to heat treat the rod to hardness. A bit
of experimenting and you should have good results.