Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Foreman Don Foreman is offline

Default Homemade Screwdrivers?

On Sat, 15 Mar 2008 16:49:26 -0700 (PDT), beecrofter
wrote:

On Mar 15, 12:04*pm, "Roger_N" wrote:
I've been needing some good electrical terminal block screwdrivers and was
wondering if I could make some better than the ones you buy. *I've had some
that are hardened and break easy and others that are too soft. *If I made
screwdrivers by machining drill rod and hardened and tempered, would they be
as good as or better than the top name brand commercial drivers? *Or would
they need to be forged, cold worked, or something to achieve higher than
store-bought quality?

Hey, I need to justify my CNC lathe and mill somehow!!! *:-)

RogerN

Wiha, or Klein -no need to reinvent the wheel. Otherwise the Ace
Hardware brand is pretty good, might be Enders tool.

These are exellent tools -- but you can't beat a screwdriver that fits
the slot very closely in both slot width and head diameter. That's
why the expensive "gunsmith" screwdriver sets have so many bits. One
can be made for a particular screw in just a few minutes including
some semblance of heattreat. It won't be as good as the same bit would
be if made by Enders or Wiha from carefully heat-treated high-alloy
steel -- but it'll very likely work better than a "better" one that
doesn't fit as well, and it can be made in a few minutes.