Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Foreman Don Foreman is offline

Default Machine shop estimating help, please?

On Sat, 15 Mar 2008 18:59:52 -0800, "SteveB"
wrote:

Retired Friends of mine and I myself have a $20 per hour shop rate for
people we know and about double that for strangers.
At even the $40 we aren't recovering our shop costs and we know it.
The thing is, if you give things away, then they aren't valued anyway.

I saw a sign:

$20 per hour
$40 if you watch
$60 if you help

Setting a cost on these things is difficult. I do not do machine work, but
rather welding. Price can vary a lot. The final call is up to what you
value your work at, the friend/person involved, attitude, what may come back
to you in the future from the job, lots of things.

Steve

Right. We'll talk to Pat and see what she thinks. I really do
appreciate all the RCM help here because I would have overvalued it.
It's a good thing I made my living as an EE rather than as a
machinist! Mick was right when he said "don't quit your day job."

I'd now say not more than $100, less would be OK too. I only have a
couple of hours and maybe 4 bux worth of materials in it. I'm not
looking for more of this, I have plenty of my own projects to pursue.
I'll be doing some welding on Tuesday for a friend of mine. OK,
I'll 'fess up, I'll be doing some re-welding for him. My first
failure in years with MIG (blush!!!). I sure thought it was running
right, but guess not -- unless he has some real Chinese mystery metal
there, or perhaps high-carbon steel. Probably not. I'll know more
when I see the failed part. The job is a broken part on a swivel
chair, Jack is a big guy. I'll TIG it this time so I know damned
well for certain sure that I have a puddle going. He'll offer money
knowing damned well I won't take it. He can buy lunch or something.
Maybe teach me a little this summer at his range. He is quietly
amazing shooting long-range (100 yd) bullseyes with handgun.