Posted to alt.home.repair
Terry Terry is offline

Default electric code question

On 15 Mar 2008 21:58:29 GMT, Steve wrote:

"timO'" wrote on 15 Mar 2008 in group
alt.home.repair:

not a residential question.
Does anyone know what the code has to say about the allowed length and
means of attachment for line voltage electrical (120VAC15A) cords,
(temporary power) on commercial buildings?

The code doesn't matter as much as the inspector's opinion.

I worked for an aerospace company that used extension cords to provide
power to desks in a bullpen area -- one cable about as big as my thumb
with a metal junction box every eight feet. (Can you tell I'm not an
electician?) Someone in the shop was using an extension cord improperly.
He was told to get rid of it. It was still there the next time the
inspector came, so we were told to remove *every* extension cord in the
entire plant -- some sixty buildings. The office areas got official power
poles, not a bad thing, and the shop areas got real commercial power runs.
Tens of thousands of dollars of expense.

Moral: Don't annoy the inspector.

Good rule, but it sounds like the inspector is a dick.