Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Advice on adding screen room to deck

On Sat, 15 Mar 2008 11:32:34 -0700 (PDT), "
wrote:

We have an attached 10 x 12 deck connected to our vinyl sided home and
are starting to think about turning the deck it into a screen room. I
have a few questions:

- How can I best determine if the deck will support the load of a
roof?

Figure out how much the roof will weigh. Then allow fewer people on
to the deck.

Or, say the roof will weight 220 pounds. Recall the maximum number of
people you've ever had on the deck. Get them and one fat guy to stand
on your deck and see if it collapses.

Allow for snow.

If it can:

- Can I drop some posts at the outside corners and brace them within
the deck floor?

??

- Should the outside wall start close to the house be attached to the
house?

I think it will have to be if you don't want mosquitoes to come in.
But it could be attached lightly, with one screw at the top and one at
the bottom, so that when the deck ffalls down**it won't take your
house with it.

**Say in 20 or 40 years.

Thanks