Posted to alt.home.repair
Charles[_3_] Charles[_3_] is offline

Default Getting rid of water

DanG wrote:

You might contact a county agent or local pier drilling contractor to
see if anyone in your area has tried punching a dry well. It is
sometimes quite effective to drill a large diameter and deep hole and
fill it with gravel to drop the water table in a limited area.

I considered something like this, but the concern is with mixing
surface water with the well water people drink. I simply don't know
whether the two currently mix, or if we have a layer of clay or rock
between the two.

Your
sump piping should deliver water to daylight or to a well graded
area, it sounds a bit like you are pouring your own water back in.

Well, it's possible, but my thought was that the tile took the water
someplace "else". There are retaining ponds fairly close, there just
happens to be 3-4 properties in between.

Clay is not good about allowing surface water percolate into the
subsoil. I, too, wonder how your septic system seems to work with
the problems you indicate. I assume you have drainage away from the
house for gutters/downspouts, you don't hold water against the
building, you don't have flower beds and plantings against the house.

Yeah, we graded away from the house and all the downspouts run far
away. The sump runs year round, even when the grass is dying from lack
of rain. It's a strange situation.