Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Hawke[_2_] Hawke[_2_] is offline

Default UK map of knife crimes between April and June of 2007

Looks like you could fight that guy off with one squirt from a good fire
extinguisher.

No, wait...

The last fire I had was a breaker box. I turned on the AC and headed
to the kitchen. I heard what sounded like rain for a bedroom, and knew
the sky was clear, and there were no water lines near that room. I
limped in and saw flames coming out of the closed door. I knew that I
didn't have time to get to the extinguisher by the door, so I opened the
cover and turned off the power and beat the flames out with my hands.
Also, the extinguisher I had then wasn't rated for electrical fires. I
had some first degree burns on my hands, and couldn't get rid of the
smell of burnt Bakelite for a couple weeks. It took two years to get
all of the odor out of that room.

It was the main breaker burning and one buss bar burnt in two. A few
more seconds, and the wood paneling would have caught fire. After that,
the whole house would have been on fire. The nearest firehouse is over
five miles away, and there is heavy tourist traffic between here and
there.

The amazing thing is that the 'electrician' who signed off on the job
and had it inspected can't be found.

I bet he wasn't a union electrician.

Hawke