Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Foreman Don Foreman is offline

Default Machine shop estimating help, please?

On Sun, 16 Mar 2008 10:08:45 +1300, Mick wrote:

Don Foreman wrote:

I'd appreciate a value check from someone who knows what it might cost
to have one part made in a machineshop. Harold? Karl Townsend?

I was asked to do this by my son's mother-in-law, to help out a
customer of hers who is a contractor with a problem. The contractor
Fed-Ex'd me the fixture my part needs to fit. Cosmetics are important
on this one.

She may be expecting this as a freebie for all I know. If so, that's
OK. If she or the contractor does want to compensate me, which I
think will probably be the case, I haven't the slightest idea what
"fair market value" might be for such a job, and I'm sure they have no
idea either. That's where I need a bit of informed help.

My investment in this is maybe an hour of design time and 1.5 hours
of shop time as a guess. Probably a low estimate, but I'll ride it.
Oh, and 3" of 3/4" 303 barstock and shipping of the whole shebang
back to Florida.

Again, whatever they think is fair is OK with me, but they might want
a clue as to what might be fair -- then I'll give 'em a really good
deal.

A description of the application and the part, with shop print and
photos, may be seen at
http://users.goldengate.net/~dforeman/potfiller/

Thanks, guys!

Don't take this too personally, Don, but don't give up your day job. :-)
You actually cadded this? Any jobbing shop machinist worth his salt,
would have made do with the back of an envelope and the dimensions garnered
with the aid of a caliper, mike and thread pitch gage.
Actual machine time would have been under 1/2 hour, and depending of the condition
of the bar stock could have included the final polish. That's assuming a well
setup modern lathe & equipment, not some homeshop SB or it's ilk.
As for tightening, as this would be tightened to a stop, a hole for
a pin wrench drilled underneath would be unobtrusive.
Cost? Varies as to the going hourly rate. Whaddya want?

Mick

Not taken personally at all! I cadded it mostly because I'm learning
to use the CAD software and it was kinda fun.

I don't have a job, day or otherwise. I'm retired and lovin' it.

I only ask about what a shop might for my own information in
anticipation of the very question you asked: "whaddya want?"

I don't need to be paid at all, but since someone is using it in a
for-profit enterprise it seems fair that I get some compensation. I'd
happily accept a twelvepack of Dixie Voodoo Black Lager -- but the
folks are 2000 miles away so that's not real practical.

Two responses have been $60 and $150. I'll say 50 bux plus return
shipping -- if I'm even asked.