Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Foreman Don Foreman is offline

Default Machine shop estimating help, please?

On Sat, 15 Mar 2008 19:10:20 GMT, "Carl Byrns"
wrote:

"Don Foreman" wrote in message
news

A description of the application and the part, with shop print and
photos, may be seen at
http://users.goldengate.net/~dforeman/potfiller/

"I've been advised that the wrench flats are not desired, so they won't be
there."
Can you (fancy) knurl it or internally slot it so it can tightened up? I'm
not sure a strap wrench will work against a polished surface.

-Carl

That's why I suggested wrench flats. If he doesn't want flats, he sure
as heck won't want a knurl. Perhaps he'd rather have this patch be as
subtle as possible.

There is an internal 10 mm hex socket that can be used to tighten it
and other threads in the stack. Undoing it would be a rather
different problem, because once the first one releases the grip is
gone. Not my problem, and apparently the contractor figures not his
problem either.

If I had to do it, I'd use the hex to get something loose and off. At
that point I could then grab the SS tube with a 5C collet in a collet
block. Every plumber carries a 3/4" 5C collet and a collet block in
his truck, right?