Posted to alt.home.repair
DanG DanG is offline

Default Getting rid of water

You might contact a county agent or local pier drilling contractor
to see if anyone in your area has tried punching a dry well. It
is sometimes quite effective to drill a large diameter and deep
hole and fill it with gravel to drop the water table in a limited
area. Your sump piping should deliver water to daylight or to a
well graded area, it sounds a bit like you are pouring your own
water back in.

Clay is not good about allowing surface water percolate into the
subsoil. I, too, wonder how your septic system seems to work with
the problems you indicate. I assume you have drainage away from
the house for gutters/downspouts, you don't hold water against the
building, you don't have flower beds and plantings against the
house.

--
______________________________
Keep the whole world singing . . . .

"Charles" wrote in message
Our sump runs all the time in the basement. The result is that
we
always have soggy places in our yard where we put the outlet
tube.
Compounding this is the fact that the water table seems to be
high
here, so low places on our property are prone to being soggy
anyway,
after rains and such. We live in a rural area with no city
service
such as storm drains.

Over the summer, we found some old field tile in the yard and it
seemed
to be "working" in that I could stick the garden hose in there
and it
would seemingly take as much as I could dump in. We decided to
tie the
sump outlet into this tile, and ran it through some perforated
tile
along the way thinking that we could maybe dry up the yard a
little
while we're at it.

It seemed to be working until recently (spring) when the
perforated
section began overflowing and causing water to pool up above
where it
is. We have a lot of snow that is melting right now. The hole
where
we dug down to the tile is still open since we never got around
filling it, and it is full of water all the way up to about 4-6"
below
the surface of the yard. I dug another small hole nearby, and
it fills
in with water at that depth too. It seems as though the whole
water
table is barely below the surface of the yard.

I have two questions after all that. How the heck might we get
rid of
all this water? And second, how can our septic tank still be
functional with the water so high? Could it be that in clay
soil, the
water level can be significantly different within a few hundred
feet?