Posted to alt.home.repair
aemeijers aemeijers is offline

Default Installing kitchen cabinets

Colbyt wrote:
"desgnr" wrote in message
news:t8QCj.4470$4q3.2505@trndny02...
I want to put the cabinets on a stud wall covered with drywall.
What do i do with say a 15" wall cabinet,because the cabinet will only
cover 1 stud.
What do i do in that case ( don't i need to support a cabinet on more than
1 stud ?

In addition to screwing them to the wall studs, cabinets are normally
installed with 2-3 screws through the styles (the vertical hardwood piece on
each side) so that they are connected to each other. Some 12" wide wall
units never hit a single stud.

Ya beat me to it. That is the traditional and proper approach, if he has
traditional 'real' cabinets, that at least have hardwood fronts. If he
has the chipboard junk common today (some of which makes face frame from
wrapped chipboard stock), or the 'euro-style' cabinets with no face
frame, you have to stare at it all awhile and decide what looks solid
enough to screw through. Sometimes big washers, and maybe even a block
on the other side to screw into,are indicated, or the screw will pull
right through or out. Last two apartments I had, there wasn't any real
wood in the damn cabinets. The first place I had in this town, one of
the cabinets fell apart when the chipboard decided that holding on to
the staples was too much work.

(I sure am glad the previous owner of this place didn't 'upgrade' from
the original 1960 hardwood cabinets, in spite of the botched DIY
refinish he put on them. That I can fix, one of these days, since he
did not strip the old finish, first.)

aem sends...