Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
spaco spaco is offline

Default Aluminum Welding Rod that is shown on TV commercials - any commentspro or con

You oughta see the guys at the MN state fair work with this rod! They
do GREAT things. But take it home and try it yourself????? Maybe, if
you are already an accomplished welder who also understands brazing very
well.
There are at least 2 kinds, the last I knew. One kind REQUIRES the
stainless steel brush (which comes with the packet of rod). The other
kind supposedly does not. Sorry but I don't rememeber why not.

A funny story for y'all on the subject:

I did buy this rod many years ago. The package of about 20 1/8"
diameter rods about 18" long, with SS brush, cost me $30. I kept it
around for years looking for an application.
My old Cub Cadet developed a head gasket leak right beside the
exhaust valve and by the time I noticed it, the hot gases had burrowed a
groove in the aluminum head.
Got a new gasket and found that the new head was gonna be $60, so
decided to give the rod a try, Vee'd out the crack, brushed it well
and did the soldering. Looked great. "Milled" it flat on a surface
plate/ sandpaper and reinstalled it. Worked like a champ!!!
Went back to mowing. Once the head got up to temp, the whole slug
of whatever it is came flying right out of there in a molten state.

Bought the new head.

Pete Stanaitis

Sam Soltan wrote:
I have a Hohner GT3 headless guitar ( a knockoff of a Steinberger) that has
develops a slight bend as has a crack starting at the bend. I believe the
alloy is aluminum that is cast and then machined.

I fear that if I try to bend the part straight that the metal will crack and
break off.

I wonder if I could use the rod I saw advertised on TV that "welds" (seems
like soldering to me) using a gas torch.

Has anyone experience with this stuff? Please comment pro or con.