Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RoyJ RoyJ is offline

Default Homemade Screwdrivers?

Biggest issue is getting the heat treating exactly right. You want to be
able to get the rockwell within 1 or 2 points, you may want to vary the
temper from tip to shank.

I was reading an article on wood chisels a while back. The Buck tools
product manager was quoted as saying that the consumer grade chisels
were hardened a couple of points softer than the super premium line.
They figure the cheap units would get used as pry bars more often than
the premium ones.

I run Klien screwdrivers with the rubber grips. I have broken the tip
off of a phillps, chewed up a straight blade and reground it but many
years of service on the rest.

Roger_N wrote:
I've been needing some good electrical terminal block screwdrivers and was
wondering if I could make some better than the ones you buy. I've had some
that are hardened and break easy and others that are too soft. If I made
screwdrivers by machining drill rod and hardened and tempered, would they be
as good as or better than the top name brand commercial drivers? Or would
they need to be forged, cold worked, or something to achieve higher than
store-bought quality?

Hey, I need to justify my CNC lathe and mill somehow!!! :-)

RogerN