Posted to uk.d-i-y
BRG[_2_] BRG[_2_] is offline

Default Water seal for door.

Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
BRG wrote:
Is the "aluminium strip" something like that of a Stromguard waterbar
(threshold)?

No - just a plain ally strip. Added by the builders.

If it is, try putting a 6mm x 6mm plough grove under the bottom rail
of the door and over 'drip tray' of the aluminium strip - this stops
the water being blown across the bottom rail and allows it to fall
and drain out through the strips (stormguards) weepholes.

I've just Googled Stormguard and it looks like I should try one of
their products.

If the 'strip' is simply a flat bar, then try the groove trick in
front of that - *if* there's enough room - or simly replace the
strip for a Stormguard waterbar and that, along with the plough
groove, usually works in the worst of weathers.

They seem to have a bewildering range. Any preference? The door has
been rebated for this ally strip but would be easy enough to alter.

Dave,

If height isn't a problem, just use the standard one
http://www.stormguard.co.uk/ProductsSillStandard.html

or if you want the 'belt and braces' job use the Brydale
http://www.stormguard.co.uk/ProductsSillBrydale.html the rubber seals will
stop the draughts as well as the water.

After fitting many of these in my time, I would suggest that if you live in
a high wind pressure area, that you also fit an aluminium weatherboard just
above the Stormguard to stop the rain being 'pushed' down and under the
door - especially if you use the standard sill.

If height is a problem (disabled access etc) then just use one of the lower
profile bars with a weatherboard.

BRG