Posted to sci.electronics.repair
[email protected] me@privacy.net is offline

Default Power Conditioners Necessary?

Arfa Daily wrote:

Many people have very strong opinions on these, and on some of the audio
groups, questions like this have resulted in flame wars of epic proportions
!

FWIW, based on many years at the service end of the business, I don't
believe that the fitting of such devices will result in any difference in
reproduction quality of either audio or a TV picture, that any reasonably
sane person could actually discern with any repeatability. That said, I have
absolutely no problem at all with advising owners of any electronic
equipment that is line powered, that they will do no harm by powering it via
a halfway decent quality surge arrester plug or strip. Whilst most modern
electronic equipment has at least a degree of front-end filtering and surge
suppression, it never hurts to employ the 'belt and braces' approach, and
deal with line-borne transients and interference, before they ever have a
chance to get into your equipment in the first place.

So, necessary ? In most cases not. Worthwhile ? A not too expensive one
might just pay for itself the first time that you have a thunderstorm in the
vicinity ...

Arfa

Point well taken, Arfa. Your opinion coincides with mine--not
necessary, but nice. And, I understand about the flame wars. I've read
a bunch of those esoteric cables vs. wire. David Gow of McIntosh
published the definitive paper concerning this subject many years ago.

Jim

--
Thieves get rich and saints get shot, and God don't answer prayers a lot.