Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ned Simmons Ned Simmons is offline

Default New Invetion: "Oops Tape"

On Fri, 14 Mar 2008 17:40:39 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

On Mar 15, 2:04 am, Lew Hartswick wrote:
wrote:
2.Use the RIGHT heatshrink made for the job, it has an integral inner
coating of "Gloop" (its similar to hot melt glue sorta thing) that
will waterproof it.

Andrew VK3BFA.

That is the neetest stuff. It came out while I was still in the
electronics business, must have been 25 or 30 years ago. Can
still almost see the ads, now why didn't I think of that. :-)
...lew...

Yep, real neat. Originally developed to provide a seal between hard
nylon jacket telephone cable, and the lead wipe that encased the
joint. Had a nice little feature on it - a blue dot pattern that
changed colour to white when it got to the right shrinking
temperature. (Which was done with a "soft flame" burner on a propane
torch.) Made by a yank company, RAYCHEM...more widely available now,
even the local electricians supply shop has it. Probably a Chinese
knock off. Bloody expensive though. But works real good, especially if
the joint is going to be under 20ft of water all its life...

I had the same impression as you - the goo seems like the flexible PVC
hot melt glue. So a couple times when I've needed a piece of self
sealing heat shrink and didn't have any handy, I've made do with hot
melt glue. Get a piece of regular shrink tube in position and squirt a
charge of hot melt into the joint from both ends of the tubing then
quickly shrink with a heat gun. I wouldn't trust it for a splice to my
well pump 250ft underground, but it seems to work pretty well in less
critical apps.

--
Ned Simmons