Posted to sci.electronics.repair
[email protected] me@privacy.net is offline

Default Power Conditioners Necessary?

A number of friends and relatives have flat-screen TV's they've bought
in the last couple of years, along with consumer-grade audio systems,
AND they have those Monster (brand) power conditioners. You know
Monster-they're the folks that charge $100 for a 3-ft. length of wire.

Anyway, places such as Ultimate Electronics and Circuit City are pushing
these devices, usually those made by Monster.

Lately, I noticed APC was advertising their power conditioners in a
consumer electronics/computer magazine.

I've got a lot of high-end audio and video equipment I've been using for
many years, in a variety of cities, and I DON'T have a power
conditioner; heck, I don't even have any surge suppressors! I've never
had a problem with most of my gear--at least, not problems that could be
attributed to power fluctuations.

Question is: are these things really worthwhile or necessary?

--
Thieves get rich and saints get shot, and God don't answer prayers a lot.