Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ned Simmons Ned Simmons is offline

Default bandsaw help

On Thu, 13 Mar 2008 21:26:56 -0700, "Bob in Phx"
wrote:

1. where to find a blade. I did the string as well as the math calculations
and figure its 68 1/2.

If the other sources mentioned in this thread don't work out, there's
a saw shop or three near you that'll weld up any blade you want for
about $5 + the cost of the material.

2. How may teeth per inch. I recall a rule of thumb that at least two teeth
should be in contact with the metal at all times, this could get tough with
1/8 inch AL....

Al is best cut at woodworking speeds, or a bit less - don't worry
about 2 teeth in contact rule when running at that speed. I find a
6TPI hook tooth is a good general purpose aluminum blade. Apply wax to
the blade to avoid gumming the teeth.

When cutting steel, the blade that's on my vertical most of the time
is a 10TPI raker set, an 18TPI would be more appropriate for a small
saw cutting light stock. I keep blades from 4TPI skip tooth (for 2"+
thick aluminum) to 32TPI wavy set on hand.

3. Tires. It had a very bad set of rubber tires on the wheels. No crown
left, chunks missing, glue rotted from the inside out. I've read about
urathane tires, but I was wondering what's the general feeling about rubber
vs. urathane. This saw will see only home use every so often.....

McMaster has 10" rubbers, but only 1" wide. Your saw shop will have
access to a wider selection if you don't want to try some of the
cheaper suggestions.

--
Ned Simmons