Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jim Wilkins Jim Wilkins is offline

Default bandsaw help

On Mar 14, 12:26*am, "Bob in Phx" wrote:
I picked up an old craftsman 10 inch bandsaw today. Lots of coats of house

3. Tires. It had a very bad set of rubber tires on the wheels. No crown
left, chunks missing, glue rotted from the inside out. I've read about
urathane tires, but I was wondering what's the general feeling about rubber
vs. urathane. This saw will see only home use every so often.....

... bob in phx

I used slices of old truck inner tubes to retread the wheels of a 10"
Delta bandsaw. They aren't perfectly even in thickness but they were
good enough. I slowed it down somewhat with a larger pulley and used
it for aluminum, then as a sawmill to cut a few dozen 10" x 6' oak
planks.

I wouldn't bother trying to make it cut steel. Even if you get it
going slow enough you are still severely limited by the throat depth,
embedded steel grit in wood will wreck your woodworking tools, and
once the blade dulls, small parts quickly heat up too much to hold. A
4x6 horizontal is sooo much better even with their quirks. For a few
steel cuts you can get away with a saber or recip saw.

Jim Wilkins