Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Steve Walker Steve Walker is offline

Default OT - Computer software question...

Al A. wrote:
Apologies for the OT post, but i know we have some pretty experienced
computer types here whose judgment I'd trust. I may have need for some
means to remotely access, via the web, a couple of computers. All have
capability for "Always on" broadband access. Let's call them computers
A,B & C. We need to be able to use computer A to access either B or C
remotely, just to transfer and access files and such. There should never
be need to access B & C simultaneously. Needs to be reasonably secure,
but no overly sensitive personal, financial or DOD type info here.

Someone suggested PC ANYWHERE as a possible app to do this. I have
researched it a bit and it looks like it may be what I need. I am
wondering if any of you guys have tried this particular software and
have an opinion on ease of setup/use, relaibility, etc., or care to
suggest something else.

I consider myself a bit more computer savvy than the average joe, but I
have no delusions that I am a network expert. I would appreciate any
suggestions.

Thanks very much,
AL A.

Check out an app. called Hamachi. Works very good for what you want.
Kind of like automatically setting up a VPN. Doesn't like DHCP, (at
least 1 year ago,I gave up on it as I had too much trouble trying to
port forward my router)) as it needs to know the IP addresses of all
computers.

--
Steve Walker
(remove wallet to reply)