Leon

Default SawStop files with GPO/CPSC for mandatory use in US

"I really hate spam." wrote in message

You're not in the market for a saw right now. But, you want saw stop
badly enough that you want anybody who wishes to buy a brand new
tablesaw to be forced to include it at a significant price, just to be
sure that it is available when you do want it. The real question,
then, is why you don't put yourself in the market for a new saw now,
while it is guaranteed to be available?

Good gosh, get a grip here. My openions are not going to steer the
governmant one way or the other. Damn ,can't I put in a wish list like any
one else. Just because I don't mind the government getting involved in this
instance and don't care what tactics were used to bring the product to
market does not mean that you or my openion is not a valid one.

I've seen you mention your relatively new Jet in other parts of this
thread. If it's pretty new, and you keep it in good shape, you can
probably sell it for a pretty large percentage of the original price,
right?

Well do a little research on resale of used tools. I have not checked but a
3 year old Jet used in a business would probably only fetch 1/2 the original
price. So we are probably talking in excess of $1000 for the upgrade.

If you do that, then buy a new saw with Sawstop installed,
you'll only be out a few hundred dollars. Well, Sawstop saws aren't
cheap...maybe you'll be out a thousand extra dollars. But so what,
right?

That type of thinking explains a lot. While you don't want any one telling
you what to do, you certainly are over flowing with ideas of how to spend my
money. That is fine, I can ignore them as you can too. Does that sound
like your reason to not go with the plan? You don't want some one telling
you what to buy? Take your own advise.

I want to see the new saw feature implimented. In this instance if the
government gets involoved fine. If you don't want to have the government
involved in the purchase, fine. We both are entitled in our thoughts and
openions. You surely do not have to buy a new saw with this feature, go buy
one now before the mandate goes into effect. Ahh but then that would be me
telling you how to spend your money... Thats life....

Safety is far more important than anything...more important
than personal liberty, more important than the ability to choose to
buy a less expensive saw without this feature in the future; it would
have to be more important than mere money, wouldn't it?

ABSOLUTELY... I would galdly give up a single choice" freedom" rather than
not be afforded the opportunity to buy a saw in the future with this
feature.

You don't want to do this now, though. You're happy enough with your
Jet...without Sawstop technology...that you're willing to keep it, at
your own personal risk, just to save a few dollars.

I guess you would be doing the same right? Is that wrong?

You don't want to give others...like me, a young guy who can't afford a

good tablesaw
just yet, for both monetary and spatial reasons...that same option in
the future.

Don't blame this on me, I have nothing to do with it. I am totally not
involved in the process other than wishing for something that you dont wish
for. Argue with those that will make a difference, that is your right. But
****in and moaning in front of me will change nothing. You talk about
personal freedom and you you attack my way of thinking.... Hummmm

You want the government to take that option away, just to
be sure that this product survives long enough for you to decide that
it is worth your money, even if it isn't a good enough value for the
price that it would make it on its own.

No. I do not want the governmant to be involved unless it is the only way to
see this come to light.

I have to disagree with you.

Good for you Eric, you shoud be afforded right to always have you openion
and you should also remember that others will disagree with you. Keep in
mind though, your wishes will not always be of popular openion or come true
and your rights do not superceed others rights and visa versa. We simply
disagree and that is that.

In a few years, when my wife and I have
earned enough to move on to a bigger place, and I'm looking for a saw
for my shop, I want to be able to choose whether or not to get a
safety device that adds cost to the saw.

I sencerely hope you are able to fulfill your wants and dreams and choose
the saw you want. The future is full of surprises, some good some bad.
Family should always come first and taking care of your self in the shop
helps you and your family. A price cannot really be put on you ability to
provide income for your family.

Maybe it will be
Sawstop...if it proves its worth without government mandate. Maybe it
will be a different option, one that has proven its value is worth the
cost, without its manufacturer forcing itself on us. Or, just maybe,
as with so many other things in life, I will have to accept that there
are nearly unacceptable risks involved with things that I want to do,
and I will be forced to decide if those risks are outweighed by the
benefits that taking them will bring.
Eric Ryan

Maybe the SawStop will cause manufacturers to design an entirely different
saw that totally side steps all implications that the SawStop addresses. It
could be the shot in the arm that this industry needs. Imagine the laser
technology going full bore and blades being replaced by the laser. The
laser is already being used to carve and etch wood... I doubt it would be
more dangerous than as spinning blade. The light could be programmed to
only recognize and cut wood in much the same way the SawStop recognises you
flesh vs. the wood it is cutting. Imagine a thin light pointing up through
a 3/4" board 1" vs. several square inches that a blade displays. The TS
could operate as a band saw or scroll saw also.