Doug Miller

Default SawStop files with GPO/CPSC for mandatory use in US

In article m, "Leon" wrote:

"Chris Johnson"

I've got a better idea: Every saw manufacturer should offer this
and other safety products as reasonably priced options for each
model of saw. You get to choose what safety options you want
installed on it, or choose none if that's what you want.

Sounds good to me.

You're contradicting yourself, you know. All along, you have maintained quite
strenuously that the available safety features should be mandated by the
government, and not left to the purchaser's discretion.

But wait, there's a problem with that. The problem is that there
IS no product that competes with the SawStop device and probably
won't be until the patent runs out as the patent is pretty
comprehensive and it's not easy to make an end run around one that
covers the whole concept so thoroughly.

I wonder why the electric break on so many miter saws could not be beefed up
to perform as well as the saw stop.
A simple pin ingauges a hole in the blade or arbor and stops the blade. No,

Think for a moment or two. It's gonna take a pretty stout pin to stop a blade
driven by a 3HP motor, and spinning at 4000 rpm.

I have not read the whole petition but From what every one is saying, I
would be inclined to think that the petition requires "LIKE" or better
performance and not the same way to achieve "LIKE " performance. A little
imagination should acomplish the same thing.

It's freedom of choice, Leon. I won't be denied mine. If you want
to lose that freedom to choose, that's your business.

Well Chris if you loose the choice to buy a new saw with the modifications
or not, you will still have the choice to voice you openion.

Nobody needs to lose that choice. The product is available *now*, and everyone
has the choice. If you want it, buy it.

The problem I see is that I don't want it, not at the current price, but *you*
think that I should be *forced* to buy it next time I buy a table saw. Tell
you what: since you think it's so important for me to have one, you can buy it
for me. How's that sound?

--
Regards,