Leon

Default SawStop files with GPO/CPSC for mandatory use in US

"Sam Chambers" wrote in message
"JackD" wrote in message news
I think it's worded broadly enough to allow for competition to crop up.
Don't you think that, since SawStop approached them a few years ago,

Delta,
Jet/Powermatic, Dewalt and others have been exploring ways of

accomplishing
the same thing?

I think that the problem with the petition is that it was not worded in a
way that everyone understands with out perhaps an attorney to help out. I
believe a lot may be being read into the petition.

I agree that if the performance modification is mandated, which will
guarantee a market also, other people much smarter than me will jump at the
opportunity to offer a better mouse trap. I have thought of the laser
detection and that seems pretty reasonable as laser are pretty inexpensive
now days, or a device similar to what garage door openers use to reverse
the door if you break the beam. The trick here would be to determine if a
hand or wood was in the path of the blade. As for brakes, a disk and
caliper on the opposite side of the arbor sounds like a great idea or a
simple pin to engage into a blade hole or arbor hole.