Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bruce in Bangkok[_3_] Bruce in Bangkok[_3_] is offline

Default reducing the cost of labor

On Thu, 13 Mar 2008 10:56:27 +0700, Bruce in Bangkok
wrote:

On Wed, 12 Mar 2008 13:43:01 -0400, "Ed Huntress"
wrote:

"Bruce in Bangkok" wrote in message
. ..
On Wed, 12 Mar 2008 01:40:45 -0400, "Ed Huntress"
wrote:

"Hawke" wrote in message

"Bruce in Bangkok" wrote in message
On Mon, 10 Mar 2008 22:16:38 -0800, "Hawke"
wrote:

GeoLane at PTD dot NET wrote in message
.. .
On Sun, 9 Mar 2008 22:07:39 -0700 (PDT), Millwright Ron
wrote:

Snipped

Not in the case of Zestril that I quoted. See the following:

Bruce, I worked in pharmaceutical marketing for four years and A-Z was one
of my clients, fer chrissake. Believe me, your costs have nothing to do with
manufacturing costs. Neither do ours. Yours are based on price controls and
accounting that covers only the marketing and distribution costs in
Thailand. Ours are based on everything they can get out of the market, with
no holds barred. Period.

AstraZeneca is one of the world's leading pharmaceutical companies,
with a broad range of medicines designed to fight disease in important
areas of healthcare.

Active in over 100 countries with growing presence in important
emerging markets; corporate office in London UK; major R&D sites in
Sweden, the UK and the US.

In nearly all cases, I can buy a medicine cheaper here in Thailand
then in the U.S. and these are imported medicines. If they are made
locally it is about 1/10th the price.

Of course. You're larded with "compulsory licensing." That is, the Thai
government gives your pharma industry a license for pirating. d8-)

Sorry, incorrect. the Thai government is discussing the CL question
with one or two drug companies but there has been no decision.
According to the pharmaceutical department of Chulalongkorn University
(the most prestigious school in the country) all current drugs covered
by copyright or patent are imported from the makers, or their licensed
representatives. (they operate a extremely well stocked pharmacy in
the heart of Bangkok so they are easy to talk to).

Sorry again. Just after I posted the above I read the newspaper. It
appears that contrary to previous printed reports the government HAS
decided to allow the manufacture of patented medicines under a
"Compulsory Licensing" (CL) law.

The article goes o to say that the EU confirmed the legality of
Thailand's action and it was allowed by WTO rules.

Bruce-in-Bangkok
(correct email address for reply)