Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bruce in Bangkok[_3_] Bruce in Bangkok[_3_] is offline

Default reducing the cost of labor

On Wed, 12 Mar 2008 15:28:02 -0800, "Hawke"
wrote:

I agree. They are especially on the lookout for workers who will do the job
for less money. Which, after all is why all the jobs are going to third
world countries. The problem it seems is that the US no longer holds any
comparative advantage over the poorer countries. Too bad no one told us what
to do when we are disadvantaged in the global competition. Other countries
can now make everything we used to for a lot less due to cheap labor costs
so we therefore have to decline economically? That would be the case if it
weren't for governments getting involved to protect their markets. We aren't
protecting ours but they are. We're losing and they are winning. If I was in
charge I'd do what they are doing.

Hawke

I'm retired now but I worked for the past 30 years outside the U.S.
and you are correct. When I started all the supervisors were from
developed countries but as time went by more and more locals became
qualified.
I participated in a program ARCO Indonesia had to take about 30 fresh
collage graduates and try to turn some of them into managers.They
treated them just like any other big company, seminars, training,
promotions and terminations as merited, temporary transfers for some
to other countries to gain more experience and so on. the result is
that (if he hasn't retired) one of them is the President Director of
ARCO Indonesia and another is the V.P. Production..

All of this took some 20 years to occur but it has occurred and no, in
most cases there is no longer any reason to hire an American.

Bruce-in-Bangkok
(correct email address for reply)