Ernie Jurick

Default Petition Sawstops Directly

"Charlie Spitzer" wrote in message

"Ernie Jurick" wrote in message

"David B. Chamberlain" wrote in message
If you go to the SawStop website, there is a contact page. That

gives
you
an email address of

Everyone should send them a polite email telling them that you do

not
appreciate a private company using a government agency to extort money

from
private citizens. Maybe a few thousand emails will help educate them.

There's an even bigger issue, Dave. This is from their FAQ:

"How much will a saw with the SawStop system cost?

We estimate that the retail price of a contractors saw will increase by
approximately $50-100 after a manufacturer retools to add the SawStop

system
as original equipment."

Now, we all know that a "manufacturer's estimate" is about one-half to

one
quarter of the actual retail price increase by the time it reaches the
customer. This thing could wind up doubling the cost of a lower-end saw.

The
safety increase is marginal. Most of us would wind up junking it the way

we
do with blade guards. If it becomes mandatory I plan to make a fortune
selling retrofitting kits.
-- Ernie

it's against the law to remove or retrofitting out parts of your car. what
makes you think that won't happen here?

Ever been to a speed shop, a hot rod/motorcycle show or a dragstrip? What
people do to machinery on their own is largely outside the law. It would
make some interesting test cases, though.
-- Ernie