Posted to alt.home.repair
Jeff Jeff is offline

Default Which furnace Humidifier??

Agree with others, you do need a floor drain for the excess water that
flows over the pad to prevent salt build up. Usually can plumb into AC
drain.

"TKM" wrote in message

"k" wrote in message
I was wondering what style of humidifier to purchase which will attach
to my furnace. I was worried about standing water with the drum type.
I have read the reviews of the WATT brand at home depot and there have
been complaints. Does anyone recommend a model for me. I have a two
story 2500 square foot house.

An Aprilaire Model 550 was installed in our new house 5 years ago. It has
worked well with no problems and little maintenance except for one
evaporator media replacement (yes, I know that should be done annually).
A trickle of water runs through it continuously while operating so it
stays clean. Control is via the furnace blower and a humidistat. The
installer connected the humidifier to a hot water pipe and I questioned
that; but he said that the humidifier runs less if uses hot water.

Seems like it was a good choice; but I don't know how large a house it
will handle. Ours is about 2000 sq.ft. The house is very tight and the
humidifer seems to run less than half the time in cold weather.

TKM