Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair
SteveB[_5_] SteveB[_5_] is offline

Default Mounting 2 x 4 to block wall ?

"James" no wrote in message
Steve, and others:

It looks like Tapcons are ideal, if I have a solid wall. Yes , it is a
cinder block wall. But, I have looked closely in my basement, and I can
see concrete spillover at the top of the wall. So now, I think it has
been poured solid. This cabin was built over 30 years ago, and I have
forgotten some of the details.

I think that my best bet is to "assume" that this block wall was poured
with concrete for reinforcement, and initially try drilling and using the
Tapcon screws. If I see that it is not solid where I drill, then I could
go with some type of toggle/ molly bolt, or the sleeve anchor, right ?

Thanks to Steve and to all others for the very nice comments and advice !!
I have learned a lot from this group.

James

You'll know when you drill your first one. Many times, a mix of grout was
almost slurry as compared to a real mix of concrete with aggregate. I
repaired a ton of gates in Las Vegas where they used sandy grout instead of
a concrete mix, and the sleeve anchors were the way to go. If the Tapcon is
almost squeaky tight, that's what you want. If it is looser than that, just
put a lot of tapcons, or maybe add a sleeve anchor at the top and middle of
the two by.

Steve