Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default reducing the cost of labor

"F. George McDuffee" wrote in message
On Wed, 12 Mar 2008 03:39:44 -0400, "Ed Huntress"
wrote:
snip
Have you ever heard of a case where it works?

snip
=================
It all depends on what you mean by "works" and for who.

If you mean a better standard of living for the population in the
aggregate, then not only no -- but HELL NO.

If you mean a huge increase in the absolute and relative wealth
of the richest 1% then "comparative advantage" has been an
outstanding success over the last 20 years right here in the USA.

It is exactly here that "the wheels come off." We are attempting
to operate one country containing two separate worlds.

No, by "works" I mean that trade actually is done the way Ricardo's theory
of comparative advantage says it should be done. I've never heard of one,
and I've asked some economists about it over the years. They never gave me a
convincing answer.

--
Ed Huntress