Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub[_2_] HeyBub[_2_] is offline

Default 6 foot Redwood Fence replacement questions

Tube Audio wrote:
Hello

I have a 100 foot long fence that is falling down. My neighbor and I
are going to go 50/50 to replace it.

I had a few fence companies come out to bid the job, some of them
seem not so good.

I asked about putting 6 inches of gravel in the post hole, some said
yes some said that they don't use gravel and just completely cover
the post with cement. This doesn't sound right?

Also asked about post depth. The fence will be 6 feet tall; they
said that they would use 8 foot 4x4 posts, so that means that only 2
feet of the post will be in the ground. Isn't the standard 1/3rd of
the overall length in the ground, so a 6 ft fence would have three
feet in the ground, so a 9ft post would be used? So the hole would
need to be dug 3 1/2 feet for a half of foot of gravel?

As for nails should I ask them to use HD hot dipped galvanized?

Besides pressure treated, how about grade of wood? Heart Wood? Wood
that will be immersed in the ground or the kickboard touching the
ground?
Are 4x4 posts fine, should I get 4x6 or 6x6 posts?

Am I missing anything?

Thanks

1. Consider metal posts set in concrete. They'll never rot.
2. Insist the builder use well-dried wood, else when it does dry - and
shrink - you'll have gaps up to 3/8".
3. Use stainless nails or screws.