Posted to sci.electronics.repair
bz bz is offline

Default Sony KV27S15 died

"M0 D. Zacharias" wrote in
et:

Never had a problem doing this - and in this case it's a single-ended 5
volt supply. I've even added in a variable supply at the output of a
regulator to supplant the existing regulator while a unit is running.
Just reduces the current requirement on the existing regulator.

Found lots of shorted IC's and the like this way without having to trace
a power supply line all over a complex unit. About the only time this
technique hasn't worked in my experience is when there is a ZERO ohm
short, since some resistance is necessary in order for heat to be
generated.

Your method could work on zero ohm shorts, also, IF you happened to have an
IR sensitive camera available.
The trace leading to the short should 'stand out' in an IR view of the
board.

Some CCD cameras are sensitive to IR radiation, so looking at the board
through your camera viewfinder, may show the way to the short.

--
bz

infinite set.

remove ch100-5 to avoid spam trap