Posted to uk.d-i-y
Autolycus[_2_] Autolycus[_2_] is offline

Default How to pin groove timber ?

"Neil Ross" wrote in message
Anybody know what machinery/equipment is used to pin groove (or is it
called reeding?) timber batons? I've googled et al and can't find any
info on it, which leads me to think I may be using the wrong name for
it. What I want to end up with is the sides of timber batons grooved
with parallel ribs each about 4mm across and in relief (not grooved
into the wood as in fluted grooves). You see this in some garden
structures, pergola legs etc. - basically what I want to use it in
myself.

I wondered if you could do it with a planer/jointer with special
blades. Anybody seen this done?

Anybody got any experience of this?

I have a moulding (aka shaping) head for my Radial Arm saw. Takes a bit
of setting up, but works as a poor man's spindle moulder.

Mine's DeWalt kit, but see

http://www.toolkraft.com/Molding_Hea...al_Arm_Saw.htm

for some cutter examples. You can also make your own cutters - mild
steel is OK for short runs.

--
Kevin Poole
**Use current month and year to reply (e.g. )***