Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Paul Paul is offline

Default Alternatives to aluminum tube

Tim Wescott wrote:
More design questions:

I need a stick-like thing, about 30 inches long, to go from a pivot
point to a little electric motor. It needs to be moderately rigid,
light and inexpensive in lots of 50 each or so. It would also be quite
nice if it's moderately attractive -- mill finish aluminum without too
many scuff marks is just fine for this. Prettier is better.

I'm thinking that thin-wall aluminum* tube of about 5/8" diameter will
work well, and I'm getting ready to be shocked once again by how much
things cost these days. While I'm waiting for quotes, I thought I'd
solicit the group for suggestions.

Fiberglass? Carbon fiber? Phenolic? Other plastics? Titanium**?
Extra thin-wall steel? Balsa wood comes to mind, but while it is low
tech I suspect it'll cost more than aluminum. Cooked spaghetti is too
limp, and uncooked is too brittle.

Anyone have suggestions? Do you have supplier names to go with your
suggestions?

* Alloy isn't terribly important. Even dead soft would work, although
harder would be better.

** OK, maybe it's more expensive than aluminum.

How about economy grade hunting arrow shafting? I know its smaller than
5/8 but unless your motor weights a couple pounds or something it should
be fine. It's fairly thick walled so drill and tap each end to
facilitate attaching the counterweight and motor.

Regards
Paul

It's a Linux world....well, it oughta be.