Posted to sci.electronics.repair
[email protected] vintagetechnology@yahoo.co.uk is offline

Default How long do old circuits/electronics last for?

On Mar 11, 7:10*pm, jakdedert wrote:
Claude wrote:
TVs and radios with valves ( tubes) close to for ever but unfortunately
limited to their weakest link, the capacitors. They are good for 35 years
then dry up.

Modern electronics are probably good for 20 if they are of the highest
quality. Computers somewhere around 8 years because of crappy capacitors on
the motherboards. MP3 players roughly 2 years because of planned ( by
design) obsolescence.

Depends on what you mean by 'modern'. *I've got solid state equipment
from the era the OP mentions (70's), most of which is working fine. *I
have computers older than eight years which also work fine...for what
they're worth.

IME, the main problems with older computers is the onboard battery
backups dying. *Caps, except for the infamous problem--largely dealt
with by now--with bootleg electro's a few years ago, have not been that
much of an issue.

It's worthy of note that the Voyager probes have been operating in the
most extreme conditions for over thirty years now. *They're expected to
continue working until the 'batteries' go dead, no sooner than 12 years
from now.

http://voyager.jpl.nasa.gov/mission/timeline.html

jak

Very many thanks everyone - all your comments have been very helpful.
Additionally can I just ask about how long light emitting diodes last
for? Also processors (cpu chips) on motherboards?
Lastly when did engineers start building electronics with planned
obsolescence - is this a recent thing?
thanks again