Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tim Wescott Tim Wescott is offline

Default Alternatives to aluminum tube

On Tue, 11 Mar 2008 13:51:17 -0700, pdrahn wrote:

On Mar 11, 11:40 am, Tim Wescott wrote:
On Tue, 11 Mar 2008 11:16:23 -0700, pdrahn wrote:
On Mar 11, 10:35 am, Tim Wescott wrote:
More design questions:

I need a stick-like thing, about 30 inches long, to go from a pivot
point to a little electric motor. It needs to be moderately rigid,
light and inexpensive in lots of 50 each or so. It would also be
quite nice if it's moderately attractive -- mill finish aluminum
without too many scuff marks is just fine for this. Prettier is
better.

This seems to be an ideal application for virtual reality. That way your
device could be made from smoke and mirrors!!!!! As stiff as you want
and NO weight!

Sorry, just had to suggest this, but know it's not practical for the few
you are designing for. Would be fun, however.

Paul

I could 'make' these things as simulations a heck of a lot easier than I
can make the physical article. But control systems implementation is
often very hands-on; having a sample of the real thing, in a way that's
fun, slow enough to see what's going on, noisy enough to get a visceral
feel for it, and the right size to grab, is the right thing to accompany
what I'm doing.

--
Tim Wescott
http://www.wescottdesign.com