Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John Martin John Martin is offline

Default South Bend Lathe - trying to identify for eventual sale

On Mar 11, 5:56*pm, not today wrote:

might I suggest that If your gonna get off in Gardiner, *you head west
on 126 towards Lewiston aroung 5 miles out you will come to a four
corner. * Pond Road is a right hand turn and on that corner is a
little diner. *Not very elegant, *seats mayby 15 people but what a
feed. * *

*I thought Liberty tool was open on weekends all winter- Hide quoted text -

Diners are great, aren't they? I'll try that one some time. And
Ned's A1 as well.

Liberty closes down early January until the first Saturday in March.

They had some interesting stuff this time. A great number of quality
tools originally belonging to a Maurice W. Fowler. His Kennedy chests
were there, with his name and "Sheet Metal Mechanic" on them. I
bought some of the tools - makes you wonder who he was.

Really interesting though were the woodworking tools - they had many
hundreds of new old stock James Swan chisels, gouges, turning tools,
auger bits, etc. None of it newer than WW2 era, all in absolutely
perfect condition, unhandled. Supposedly came out of the attic of a
Boston hardware store that had been closed for years. Priced very
fairly. They had a "one per kind" limit on it, because apparently
some people bought some of it last Fall and put it on eBay, where it
brought prices many times what Liberty was asking. They were peddling
some of it on eBay themselves under their Great Wass Island name, but
only a limited selection.

Anyway, it was a good break from this crazy winter.

John Martin