Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default reducing the cost of labor

"F. George McDuffee" wrote in message
On Tue, 11 Mar 2008 13:06:03 -0400, "Ed Huntress"
wrote:

The current economic troubles cloud the issue, but the fact is that
Germans
and French have been screaming -- even the OECD has been screaming -- that
pharma price controls in those countries have gutted their industries and
moved them mostly to the US.

And the consumers have the drugs at affordable prices...

That's not to say that I would support the lack of price controls here
100%.
But facts are facts. We have the numbers, and the top-paying pharma jobs.

Indeed we do, but the top paying jobs are for the book cooking,
asset stripping CEOs and MBA types. The actual research and
production are rapidly being offshored, mainly to China and
India.

Production, but not much of the research. They can do the big-cohort studies
cheaper there but not many of them. Most are done here in the US.

I've done work for Pfizer, sanofi-aventis, Bayer, Merck, and a half-dozen
others. Since I was editing the research studies (and writing some of the
conclusions and physician-education materials), I'm familiar with the
research itself.

--
Ed Huntress