Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair
Heathcliff Heathcliff is offline

Default Mounting 2 x 4 to block wall ?

On Mar 10, 5:00 pm, "James" no wrote:
I want to mount a PT 2 x 4 to a cinder block wall in my basement, in
order to build some shelves.

What is the best way to do this ? These shelves may hold a max of 100 lbs.

I have seen those lead "sleeves" which I suppose you screw lag bolts into.
Is that the best method ?

Are there other products which are easier to use ?

I do have some mortor bits, so I am guessing that I can drill into this wall
ok. I don't think it is poured solid at this place in the wall.

Thanks for any tips.

James

Another option which may be simpler depending on your situation. If
the 2X4s will run floor to ceiling, you can just rest them on the
floor and use brackets and screws at the top to attach them to
whatever wood is available - floor joists or sill plate. (i.e., no
attachment to the block wall at all) I have put up basement shelves
this way and it worked fine. I also have used a powder-charge gun to
attach to the blocks and that worked fine too. -- H