Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Anthony Anthony is offline

Default More Sheetmetal Pricing Angst

Tim Wescott wrote in
:

Is there a website or some other reference that I could use for
guidelines of what will and won't cost a lot of money at the
sheetmetal shop when I go for a real quote?

Something as simple as "a bend will cost you $4, a hole $0.50" would
be nice, but I understand that it's never that easy.

In the thread "Sheetmetal sticker shock" someone suggested getting
five pieces laser cut, and bolting them together -- no bends. I'm
wondering if that's going to save me all that much, but I'd like to
find out without terminally exasperating the estimating folks at the
various shops.

Don't know of any online estimating, but as I noted, they will be cheaper
without the bends, especially if you provide an accurate electronic
drawing they can import to the laser or waterjet software. The cost
driver then becomes the bracket with the tapped holes. Might want to
consider using a cheap plastic for the bracket with pilot drilled holes
and self-tapping screws designed for use in plastic.

--
Anthony

better idiots.

Remove sp to reply via email