Posted to alt.building.construction,alt.home.repair
HeyBub[_2_] HeyBub[_2_] is offline

Default Mounting 2 x 4 to block wall ?

Harry K wrote:

I used the plastic anchors and all purpose (sheetrock) screws to
fasten 2x2 to non-vertical/non straight block walls. Insulated
between with 1" styro foam sheets and sheetrocked. Did that in 1/2
the basement. Looks great and still ther with no problems 20 years
later.

I also built shelves using nothing but the shelf brackets, plastic
anchors and all purpose screws. Also still there after 15 years.

I don't have anythign heavy stored on those shelves (yet) but the
brackets are the heavy duty ones and I would have no qualms about

A lot of people think the load is torque - not so. Most of the load (98%)
from bookshelves and the like, is straight down, not out. If, in the OP's
case, the 2x4 backing sits on the floor, a piddly bit of string will hold a
couple of tons of books in place. (I exaggerate, but not by much).