Posted to alt.home.repair
trs80 trs80 is offline

Default Skylight dome repair?

I went up to skylight this evening and layed a .05 thick coat of silicon
over the cracks and .5" on either side. Figured Id do that until a more
permanent solution. While I was there I found the mfr and contact
info.....Bristolite. They happen to be in the same city as I so I sent them
an email with a photo to see about a curb mounted replacement.
thanks again

"trs80" wrote in message
I have about a 8' x 4' skylight with opaque white plastic dome. It has 3
cracks radiating out to about 1'. its intact, just cracked. Probably the
wind blew a pine cone into it.

How can I go about repairing it? The dome is not viewed from inside the
house as there is a colored glass inset in the ceiling. I was thinking
contact cement and laying a flexible membrane over the cracked area that
would withstand the weather and UV. I visited Lowes but saw nothing like
that. It would be great if the membrane was translucent but not critical.
Any hints appreciated on how to go about this repair.
thanks!