Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DoN. Nichols DoN. Nichols is offline

Default THIS GROUP IS DEAD

On 2008-03-10, Jim Insolo wrote:
Is there a moderator for this group? It's now about 90% spam.

Yes -- there is. It is your killfile which you train as needed.
If your newsreader does not support a good killfile, it is time to get
another newsreader -- or to give up on this newsgroup.

At present, my killfile is killing off somewhere between 50% and
66% of a day's articles each day. That includes both subject-based and
poster-based killing (for the off-topic discussions which I don't care
to bother with), as well as a lot of IP-based killing for several
countries which seem to be contributing nothing but spam.

As for getting an official moderator, there are two problems:

1) You would have to form a new newsgroup, and then kill off this
one. There is no provision for moving a newsgroup from
unmoderated to moderated status or vice versa.

2) Who would you find who would be willing to take on the job?
It would be at least an 8 hour a day job, and nobody is paid to
be a moderator. Are you in a position to be one, and willing to
take on the task? This is assuming that the creation of a
moderated newsgroup would even pass.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564