Lennie the Lurker

Default proper bolt torque on Farmall Cub

jim rozen wrote in message ...

Ahh. No. I would never advise using a split, or any
other kind of, lockwasher inside a gearbox for any purpose.

Safety wire, red locktite, yes. But not lockwashers.

Ummm, JIm,

When you've looked at some 40 transmissions a day, five days a week,
for such things as split lockwashers, missing bolts, etc., for more
than 12 years, perhaps I'd give you a little credibility on that. The
favored retainers for bolts inside the transmissions were actually
keepers, the kind you bend up to hold the head, second to that was the
lockwasher recessed into a counterbore, last one was a star washer.
Safety wire in most apps inside the gearbox is not cost effective,
takes too much time fishing for the bolt head you can't see, and
loctite requires parts free of oil. Parts free of oil are usually not
free of rust in a very short time.