Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Trevor Jones Trevor Jones is offline

Default South Bend Lathe - trying to identify for eventual sale

David Billington wrote:
wrote:

Hi all,

I'm handling the estate of my late father-in-law, who has a South Bend
lathe in his workshop. The lathe has no identifying markings or
serial number that I can find. I'm wondering if anyone can help me
identify it from these photos:
http://learningapi.com/files/ebay/lathe/

While it's quite dirty, the lathe is is good working condition and was
used regularly until just recently. There's a drawer full of parts and
accessories that I cannot identify (some shown in photo) as well.
Does anyone have an idea of what this machine would be worth in the
Boston area?

Thanks for any advice you can offer!
Larry

It does look rather like the lathe detailed here
http://www.lathes.co.uk/southbendmodelfive9inch/

Look on the same site as above, for the South Bend Model "B" 9 inch
swing lathe.

The Key feature is that it has the power cross feed, without having
the quick change gear box.

The power cross feed is the star shaped knob on the front of the apron
of the carriage. The pin selector lever (pull the pin, select the
position, upper, lower, or middle IIRC) selects whether the lathe feeds
lengthwise or crosswise, or does not feed, and the star wheel is a
clutch that is turned to engage the feed and provide some slippage if
the load gets too high (if it is not screwed down too tightly).

The Model A has a quick change threading gear box and power cross feed.

The Model B has change gears for threading and power cross feed.

The Model C version has change gears and no power cross feed.

There is a pretty good South Bend forum on the practical Machinist
website.

Cheers
Trevor Jones