Doug Goncz

Default Ceiling fan bicycle generator

Hello, fellow metalworkers!

To prepare Surplus Center's 10-1134 ceiling fan motor for use as a bicycle
generator to power abandoned buildings to 80 watts or so ( a few night lights
and clock radios), I started by drilling six spot welds and removing the
mounting brackets and spot weld kernels.

Then I sent the 17 mm shaft to Jensen and Tracy there turned it to 5/8 inch and
slotted it to fit the cogs he thinned earlier. The eight tooth cogs are 2mm
thick for bicycle chain now, and came with an integral key from Northern
Hydraulic. They are go cart drive pinions.

5/8 key rings serve as spacers and a length of 1/4 rod or a loooong carriage
bolt retains the cog. Internal nylon bushings in the 1/2 inch reamed 12 mm bore
center the 1/4 part.

For my bicycle I used a Bike Nashbar adjustable stem set at + 15 degrees
mounted to the front derailer mounting post, but then your bicycle probably
isn't a Lightning Cycle Dynamics Thunderbolt, their base model. I milled the
as-cast parts of the handlebar clamp to a 120 degree V to capture the motor
with a long hose clamp. This has worked for hundreds of miles.

With the cog in place, I will need to experiment with 20 and 10 degree settings
to get proper chain tension.

I've had it running for a few miles without proper chain tension but you don't
want it falling off in the middle of a ride. You might have to pick up the
pieces and that might make you late for your volunteer job at the library, or
something.

So I need to buy a length of spliceable old style chain. This is rather hard to
find.

Anyway, to make it go, I put the cap in the brown lead as directed for CCW
rotation seen from the shaft end on the left side of the bike, where the tandem
stoker's crank is, and I pole it with 12 VDC for a second or so, then I fire it
up, right? That's all there is to it?

So as long as I pedal I'll have variable speed and frequency AC in range for
powering small devices. Right?

And as long as my load shuts down at 80 VAC it won't depole the rotor as the
genny comes to a stop, right? But an incandescent load would depole the rotor.

I have doubts and want to get this right so I am asking for confirmation.

Surpluscenter.com not responding. Sorry. Nice motor for this app. Can you find
one somwhere with a 5/8 shaft? Surplus Center has corrected the listing to read
17 mm, I believe. Perhaps you will find # 10-1134 when you visit.

http://surpluscenter.com

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...tDisplay?catal
ogId=4006970&storeId=6970&productId=35383&langId=-1&search=138161

http://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?c...86&brand=&s k
u=10679&storetype=&estoreid=&pagename=

Yours,

Doug Goncz ( ftp://users.aol.com/DGoncz/ )
Student member SAE for one year.
Loves in my life:
Dona, Jeff, Kim, Mom, Neelix, Tasha, and Teri, alphabetically.
So that is who I spend my time with.