Posted to alt.home.repair
Graeme[_3_] Graeme[_3_] is offline

Default How to attach interior window sill

Hello,

I would like to replace an interior window sill on a sash window. The
replacement sill is made from pine and is 1.8m long by 30mm thick by 85mm
wide. The wood is not very heavy.I have cut it to size. About 35mm will sit
atop a row of bricks. What is the best method to attach the interior window
sill to the window frame? If I were to screw it horizontally through the
85mm width of the timber, how long should the screws be? I am also
considering installing 3 l brackets secured to the wall via masonry plugs.
Is this overkill? (PS-previous sill was nailed to the exterior window sill-I
think I will split the pine if I attempt to drive similar nails through the
pine).

Thanks,

Graeme.