Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DoN. Nichols DoN. Nichols is offline

Default remove trailer deck

On 2008-03-09, spaco wrote:
I read most of the other posts and from a couple of them, these thoughts
come to mind:

1. An air chisel. With a fairly massive air chisel, one might be able
to power through the thing fairly qiuckly.

2. Here in the country, when we used to heat with wood, an old farmer
saw me hacking away at a gnarled tree crotch one day. He said that his
dad taught him to throw those aside and "let 'er rot down a bit.
Maybe, if there's no rush to get it done, a couple of years out in
the rain and snow might make the job a whole lot easier. Maybe one
could even speed that process by soaking the thing with a garden hose
now and then.

3. Sell it on Ebay or Craigslist. I leave it up to you as to whether
or not you warn the prospective buyer of the situation. Even if you do
warn them, I'll bet that somebody with more time on their hands than
your son may have, will take you up on it.

Is there a way to flip it over and put the wood in contact with
dirt? Perhaps dig a pit to clear the fifth wheel. Then walk away for
a few months, and let the termites do the job for you. :-)

I understand that this is how the aborigines in Australia bore
the holes through branches to make didgeri-doos -- the termites eat out
the soft center wood, leaving the rest as a nice hollow chunk of wood,
albeit a bit uneven.

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564