Posted to alt.home.repair
SteveB SteveB is offline

Default Cats still ****ing on basement floor.

"Oren" wrote

Vinegar and water will kill the urine enzymessp, so I'm told by a
retired carpet professional.

The guy who did the carpet in one of my houses was a friend. He installed
new. My dog took to peeing on the carpet in selected spots. I asked him
what to do. He said all I could do was remove the carpet and pad and start
from new. Once they had put their mark on the carpet, it would never come
out with any amount of cleanings to where the animal could not smell the
scent. He said the pad never ever dries out, and the smell stays in there.
I had just had it cleaned about a week previous, and said, "Bah."

He rolled back the carpet from the corner, and between the liner and the
concrete it was still wet. I was amazed, as the professionals had left it
so dry "looking" and clean.

We got the dog to quit peeing on the carpet, and she stayed. If she had not
quit, she would have been relocated. Good thing she quit, because she was
one of the best dogs I have ever owned. A Springer spaniel that loved the
kids and they grew up with her.

That said, though, I am not enough of an outdoorsman or animal lover to
share a house with any animal that will not go outside to relieve itself.
Or that I have to provide and change the droppings tray. But that's just
me.

Except for my cat, that is.

YMMV.

Steve