Posted to rec.games.video.arcade.collecting,sci.electronics.repair
Clams Canino Clams Canino is offline

Default TIP: When replacing capacitors in a video monitor...

"mark krawczuk" wrote in message

"Jerry G." wrote in message
I don't know your service experience, but you gave a simple example of
why professional service people warn people who don't have the proper
training and experience to give their service work out to qualified
services to have their repairs done.

The other good reason they warn them is to stay in business.

I know of cases where people have had injury from a terrible electric
shock, of cases where people had fires, and who were injured from
exploding parts that have not been correctly replaced.

But... For some reason many people think they can do the work
themselves, thinking that they will save a few dollars.

Fact is that anyone can make a stupid mistake, or in the case of the OP a
very legitimate error. In my 30 year involvement with Ham Radio I know
personally of a few guys that became instantly deceased by coming across the
B+ supply of a final amplifier circuit that they designed, built, and used
for years and years before they screwed up. Many of the tube type amps run
4-8kv at 1-2 amps DC. Even forgetting to discharge the filter caps can kill
you deader than dead. IMHO anyone working on this stuff needs to remain
paranoid of safety errors. In the case of the OP, a good schematic would
have shown the 250v cap and avoided the error.

-W