Wayne Cook

Default 3 phase question, new installation

On 26 Jul 2004 07:11:08 -0700, jim rozen
wrote:

In article , Harold & Susan Vordos says...

Phases A and C to neutral yield 120V, phase B to neutral yields
208V. Delta panels *do* (or can) have 120 volts. My shop is wired three
phase delta and has 5 wires, four conductors ( A, B and C phase, plus
neutral) and one ground. One avoids using the B phase for 120V, obviously.

You are now describing wild-leg delta, with one side centertapped
to ground. Not all delta service comes that way, I think.

Not all but it's by far the most common run into a small shop or
business since it allows everything to be run off the one feed.

I'd venture to say that at least 99% of the three phase
installations around here are wild-leg delta. I know mine is. I know
of only one installation that might be different but I've not worked
on it so I can't be sure. I know it's the only one I've seen with 3
transformers on the pole. Most are like mine which only has two
transformers.

Wayne Cook
Shamrock, TX
http://members.dslextreme.com/users/waynecook